Pages

Tuesday 11 November 2014

“Athletes life weights, cheerleaders lift athletes!”

Hey guys!

Had a very busy week with lots to organise for our cheerleading competition coming up (3 weeks and 5 days…but who’s counting?!) I’m very excited but a little nervous.

I've never been a particularly sporty person but somehow (maybe a miracle!), uni has changed me in to a new person. As I mentioned before, I’m chairlady for the cheerleading squad which I absolutely love! My fitness and flexibility is better than it’s ever been and I love that our squad is accepting of all shapes and sizes!

A little bit about the sport…

A lot of people think that cheerleading is just waving pom poms but I assure you it’s much more than that! Competitive cheerleading includes stunts, dance, jumps and tumbles and is a lot of hard work. Stunts are my favourite part … A stunt group consists of 2 bases (that’s what I am) who do the lifting, a flyer (that’s the one in the air) and a backspot (at the back supporting the stunt with the bases). More difficult stunts can also have a front spot that is like a third base.

Walking out on the competition mat is very nerve wracking but knowing you have 25 of your best friends around you is also one of the best feelings. I also compete separately with my stunt group which can be a lot scarier because all eyes are on just 5 of you – but the adrenaline is amazing and we somehow pull it off! We also have a dance squad who compete in jazz, pom (yes – dance with pom poms!!) and hip hop, although I haven’t had the time this year to join dance as well.

At competition, we show off our skills for 2 and half minutes and are judged by a panel of judges against other squads and universities. We aren’t the best (unfortunately) but have progressed a whole lot since my first year which I’m very proud of J

That’s all for now but I’ll update you with our progress and competition results soon!

Lots of love,

Melissa xo


p.s - here is a picture of us messing around (as usual) at one of our previous competitions.




No comments:

Post a Comment